Learn great skills, meet great people, save great places – join the Wisconsin Conservation Voters team.
Job announcement: Southeast Organizer
We are seeking to add to our team of passionate, energetic, and outgoing community organizers who use their skills to engage the conservation community to protect Wisconsin’s air, land, and water. This position will be based in or near Milwaukee and is full time.
Who we are
Wisconsin Conservation Voters engages voters to protect Wisconsin’s environment. To achieve that, Wisconsin Conservation Voters advocates for sound environmental laws and policies, holds elected officials accountable for their votes and actions, and elects pro-conservation candidates who will champion our priority issues. Learn more about us at conservationvoters.org.
What you’ll do
You will work closely with the Field Director to build deep, sustainable programs and relationships in local communities that increase the effectiveness of Wisconsin Conservation Voters and the broader conservation movement. This role includes work both on public policy and in elections. Specifics of the job include:
- Increasing our volunteer base and building infrastructure to support those volunteers.
- Developing and strengthening networks of volunteers, community organizations, coalitions, and opinion leaders in Southeast Wisconsin.
- Mentoring, training, and building skills and dedication of interns and volunteers.
- Recruiting and maintaining teams of volunteers to win on local issues and state policy priorities.
- Leading phone banks and door canvasses to engage voters on conservation issues.
- Identifying opportunities to represent the organization at community events.
- Collaborating with the Director of Strategic Development on building relationships with donors and fundraising.
- Building a more powerful, cohesive, and active organization that is racially, politically, age, and socio-economically diverse.
- Building our brand, reputation, and goodwill with members, activists, volunteers, local leaders, and partner groups.
- Recording and tracking data and reporting progress.
Who you are
To succeed in this job, you:
- Are a connector and a people person. You are genuinely interested in fostering relationships and understanding people's interests and stories.
- Have excellent interpersonal skills. You are able to work well in a team and manage projects that require input from multiple staff and across departments.
- Are comfortable working with people of all political ideologies and share our commitment to increasing racial and socio-economic diversity in the conservation movement.
- Are creative and ambitious, always seeking out new ways to expand the organization’s base of support and engage community members in its programs.
- You value learning, are curious, and like to seek out new ideas and opportunities for personal growth and improvement.
- You are excited to engage voters to protect Wisconsin’s water, air, and land.
What you should know
- Work experience: 1 year of experience in community organizing and/or 1 election cycle of mobilization work preferred, but not required.
- Skills: Demonstrated experience and success with citizen engagement; ability to work well in a dynamic environment; ability to handle multiple projects at a time; understanding of or ability to learn quickly about environmental issues and politics and their potential to engage the public; passion for Wisconsin Conservation Voters’ mission and work.
- Technical skills: Comfortable with databases and Microsoft Office; good writing skills and social media experience preferred.
- Physical requirements: Ability to drive, canvass neighborhoods (knock doors), set up and break down folding tables and presentation materials, carry materials weighing up to 10 pounds, and perform routine office duties such as typing at a computer and using a telephone.
- Conditions: The position will be located in Southeast Wisconsin, preferably Milwaukee, and will involve regular travel throughout Wisconsin. Reliable transportation and a valid driver's license are required. Some evening and weekend work is required, and during busy times you should have the flexibility to work hours exceeding regular office hours to get the job done. The position is full time and classified as exempt.
- Salary and benefits: $36,000 with a strong benefits package, including health and dental coverage, 401k retirement plan with organizational match, flexible spending account, leave sharing plan, and cell phone stipend. We offer generous paid time off, including a sabbatical for long term staff, and flexibility in working hours, ability to work from home, and professional development opportunities.
- Reports to: Field Director
Our commitment to diversity and inclusion: We deeply understand the value of bringing together a team with different perspectives, educational backgrounds, and life experiences, and we prioritize diversity within our team. We encourage people from underrepresented backgrounds to apply. Read more about our commitment here.
Email your resume, cover letter, and three references by Sunday, April 21st, 2019 to email@example.com, with “Southeast Organizer” in the subject line, or mail to: 425 S. Adams Street, Suite 204, Green Bay, WI 54301. This position has a flexible start date in May 2019.