Student Voter Resource Hub

Welcome to our Student Voter Resource Hub! See below for information on how to register, what you need to bring with you to vote, how and where to vote, specific information to your campus, and more!

Register to Vote - It’s Easy!

You can vote if you are:

  • a U.S. citizen
  • at least 18 years old
  • have lived at your address for at least 28 days before Election Day
  • “off papers” from any felony conviction

If you would like to register to vote in Wisconsin, go to the following link:

When you are at you can use a WI ID to register to vote. If you don’t have a Wisconsin ID, you can still register to vote. You will need to mail in your voter registration and proof of residence. You can also register to vote with your proof of residence document when you vote in person at the polls. You will also need your ID to vote.

Deadlines to register:

  • For the April 4 election, online voter registration ends March 15.
  • If you don't register in advance, you can register in person on Election Day.

If you don’t have a Wisconsin driver’s license, you can use any of the following documents to register to vote. Please make sure they have your name and current Wisconsin address:

Acceptable proof of residency documents:

  • College fee statement from last 9 months and student ID
  • A current and valid State of Wisconsin Drivers License or State ID card
  • Any other official identification card or license issued by a Wisconsin governmental body or unit with current address
  • A real estate tax bill or receipt for the current year or the year preceding the date of the election
  • A utility bill for the period commencing not earlier than 90 days before registering
  • A bank or credit union statement
  • A paycheck or pay stub
  • A check or other document issued by any government agency or public school
  • Homeless voters can prove their voting address with an affidavit from a social service agency. The Wisconsin Elections Commission provides sample letters here.
  • A university, college, or technical college ID card if accompanied by a fee statement for the current semester
  • Any identification card issued by an employer in the normal course of business and bearing a photo of the card holder, but not including a business card
  • An intake document from a residential care facility such as a nursing home or assisted living facility.
  • Residential lease that is effective on date of registration. (Not valid if registering by mail)
  • A letter from your tribal government

*This is not a comprehensive list, but categories of the most common types used by voters. For more information, visit

Once you have your proof of residency document, follow these steps:

If you’re already registered to vote at your current address, here’s what to bring with:

In order to vote in Wisconsin, you need an acceptable photo ID. A complete list of acceptable photo IDs and ways to get an ID can be found here. Below is a sample list of some photo IDs you can use. These are acceptable for voting purposes, and can be unexpired or expired after the date of the most recent general election (currently, the November 8, 2022 election):

  • Wisconsin driver’s license (with or without a star in the right-hand corner, your ID does not need to be a REAL ID)
  • A photo identification card issued by a Wisconsin accredited university or college that contains date of issuance, signature of student, and an expiration date no later than two years after date of issuance. (May be used even if expired before the most recent general election). Does your campus have a compliant ID?
  • If the university or college ID is expired, the student ID must be accompanied by a separate document that proves current enrollment.
  • Wisconsin photo ID issued by Department of Transportation (with or without a star in the right-hand corner, your id does not need to be a REAL ID)
  • U.S. passport
  • Military ID card
  • An identification card issued by a federally recognized Indian tribe in Wisconsin (May be used even if expired)

Voting Options:

  1. Vote on Election Day. Click here to find your polling location:
  2. Early Vote: Early Voting begins as soon as two weeks before Election Day, but dates and hours vary by municipality. Check with your clerk for early voting hours near you.
  3. Vote by Mail: Have your ballot mailed to you and return it by mail or directly to your clerk. Request you ballot here:

Know Your Rights!

  • Election Protection Hotline: 1-866-OUR-VOTE (866-687-8683)
  • If you are denied a ballot on Election Day, you have the right to a provisional ballot. Ask the poll workers present to be given a provisional ballot.
  • If you are in line before polls close at 8pm, you have the right to stay in line and vote after polls have closed
  • If you have been convicted of a felony, but have finished your sentence and are “off paper” (off probation, parole, or extended supervision) you have the right to vote. If you’re not sure, ask your parole/probation officer
  • If you are in jail for a misdemeanor, or are awaiting a trial and haven’t been convicted yet, you can vote. (If you’re in jail and you’ve been convicted of a felony, you can’t vote.)

Questions and Other Resources

  • See if you’re registered to vote, register to vote, see what’s on your ballot, find your polling location, and more at this website:
  • Want to ask us a voting question directly? You can send Organizing Director Casey Hicks a question through the google form here.